(note: sorry to drag the whole NYC recap out, seeing as I've been home for like 2 weeks now. This will wrap it up.)
Let’s be honest. I just don’t consider it “vacation” if I’m not spending 75% of my time eating. In fact, I’m pretty sure that the SIL-E’s (our cruise director) first pass at a trip itinerary consisted solely of the restaurants I had requested we eat at while in NYC. Man did we have some good meals. We did a tasting menu on Thursday night at the Bread Bar, and let’s just say I was glad I had gone with the stretchy skirt option for my outfit, so I wasn’t prevented from having dessert. Friday we gorged at my man Bobby Flay’s restaurant, Mesa Grill. And yet, later that night I still found room in my belly for 2, yes 2, Gray’s Papaya hotdogs (note to Mamma Vaughan: I much prefer a Lucky Dog). And this isn’t even mentioning all the great breakfasts we had! But all these gourmet establishments not withstanding (did I just call Gray’s “gourmet”?), my favorite meal of the weekend was at a little joint called the Shake Shack. It is in the middle of Madison Square Park, and came highly recommended by PRuff and wife, CRuff (of Monument Park fame—see below). It was very hot in NYC while we were there, but unlike H-Town it actually cools off at night, so we were able to sit in the park to enjoy our dinners, and just have an all round enjoyable meal. The weather was tolerable, the company wonderful, and the food …well, I’ll let the pictures do the talking. I opted for the standard Shackburger, split cheese fries with the HSH, and a wonderful “Black and White” shake, that I didn't split with anyone. It was delish. RH on the other hand got the Shake Stack defined as: sandwich of 2 cheeseburgers and a ‘shroom burger served with lettuce ,tomato and shack sauce, with a ‘shroom burger being a crisp-fried portobello filled with melted muenster and cheddar cheese. I’m not sure why I enjoyed this meal so much. Maybe it was the New York vibe of sitting in the park for a meal, or maybe it was the twinkle lights above me, or maybe it was beef coursing through my veins. I’m not sure. What I can be sure of is that I highly recommend this place for anyone venturing to NYC soon. If you’re headed there, I’ll take mine to go.
Let’s be honest. I just don’t consider it “vacation” if I’m not spending 75% of my time eating. In fact, I’m pretty sure that the SIL-E’s (our cruise director) first pass at a trip itinerary consisted solely of the restaurants I had requested we eat at while in NYC. Man did we have some good meals. We did a tasting menu on Thursday night at the Bread Bar, and let’s just say I was glad I had gone with the stretchy skirt option for my outfit, so I wasn’t prevented from having dessert. Friday we gorged at my man Bobby Flay’s restaurant, Mesa Grill. And yet, later that night I still found room in my belly for 2, yes 2, Gray’s Papaya hotdogs (note to Mamma Vaughan: I much prefer a Lucky Dog). And this isn’t even mentioning all the great breakfasts we had! But all these gourmet establishments not withstanding (did I just call Gray’s “gourmet”?), my favorite meal of the weekend was at a little joint called the Shake Shack. It is in the middle of Madison Square Park, and came highly recommended by PRuff and wife, CRuff (of Monument Park fame—see below). It was very hot in NYC while we were there, but unlike H-Town it actually cools off at night, so we were able to sit in the park to enjoy our dinners, and just have an all round enjoyable meal. The weather was tolerable, the company wonderful, and the food …well, I’ll let the pictures do the talking. I opted for the standard Shackburger, split cheese fries with the HSH, and a wonderful “Black and White” shake, that I didn't split with anyone. It was delish. RH on the other hand got the Shake Stack defined as: sandwich of 2 cheeseburgers and a ‘shroom burger served with lettuce ,tomato and shack sauce, with a ‘shroom burger being a crisp-fried portobello filled with melted muenster and cheddar cheese. I’m not sure why I enjoyed this meal so much. Maybe it was the New York vibe of sitting in the park for a meal, or maybe it was the twinkle lights above me, or maybe it was beef coursing through my veins. I’m not sure. What I can be sure of is that I highly recommend this place for anyone venturing to NYC soon. If you’re headed there, I’ll take mine to go.
RH getting every last drop of goodness.
RH working on an early heartattack.


3 comments:
My partner in street vendor foods, I do miss the lucky dog. We need a reason to go back to NOLA soon! Or maybe Canada? I have had one of those dogs mentioned on the Houston Ruckus family trip to Vancouver. They are darn good too!
Wow, that is one big hamburger.
MMMMmmm wish you could have brought the shakes back to Houston with you.
Now update with something less appetizing so I can stop thinking about shakes!
Post a Comment