
Some friends/family up north have been asking me some hurricane related questions, so here are some assorted answers and information.
Hurricanes have special significance for the Halfstreet. Since the HSH and I are both in the natural gas industry, we have to handle things a little differently. The price of natural gas tends to change dramatically when a hurricane enters the gulf since that is where much of the natural gas production for the country is located. Not only are fortunes made and lost during these times, but natural gas is a pretty important thing to keep running. You’d be surprised what you can’t do if gas isn’t flowing, and I’m not talking about just your fancy gas stove. Of course many trading companies have the extra wrinkle of being located in a city (Htown…holla!) that is also subject to a hurricane related inconvenience or two. With this in mind most trading companies have pretty extensive evacuation plans that are worked on and maintained year round. With so much money at stake, these companies like to have their employees available to make gas flow, and not be hunkered down in their bathtubs. As a result we frequently get evacuated way before public evacuation orders are given. This is not for safety reasons; it’s for money and business continuity reasons. Plain and simple. Just because we’re leaving, doesn’t mean curtains for Houston. They just prefer to not take a chance.
My company evacuated to Dallas last night. The goal of a situation like this is to have complete coverage of duties in both the evacuation site, and homebase. That way we are covered regardless of what happens, and who gets stuck in what traffic in & out of the city. Back in my single days, I was part of the team that flew the coop to Dallas. It was just easier for me to get mobile than someone with a family and kids to think about. (Usually the time between when you’re told you’re leaving and when leaving is pretty minimal.) This time around I requested to not be on the E-vac team. The HSH’s company had not made the call to evacuate, and I didn’t like the idea of getting out of Dodge without him. I should add that not evacuating with the company in no way prevents me from leaving on my own at a later time. It’s not like they say ‘you must stay there’. That’s the good part about sending the advance team. If the storm gets significantly worse, and I decide I want to get out of the way on my own, I have coverage up there to take care of my responsibilities.
So that brings us to now. As of now, the Halfstreet will be “sheltering in place.” The rule of thumb about these things is “Run from Water, Hide from Wind”. So if you’re not in the storm surge, which Houston shouldn’t be, it is considered safer to hunker down, and ride it out. So that’s what we’re going with for now. Like the good little Girl Scout I am, the Halfstreet is stocked up on water (we keep a stash for this purpose) and other essentials. Plus I think the HSH is looking forward to finally using that hand cranked radio/flashlight that Mom gave him for Christmas last year.
We’ll keep you updated! For now I’m considering us a Tina to this Ike. Not the tortured early Tina. The leave-Ike’s-ass-in-the-middle-of-the-night-and-go-on-to-have-a-wildly-successful-solo-career-while-he-goes-on-to-amount-to-nothing Tina.
If you are a Houston based friend, and you are in a lower laying area, or a place with a lot of windows, you are always welcome at the Halfstreet. You know where to find us.
Hurricanes have special significance for the Halfstreet. Since the HSH and I are both in the natural gas industry, we have to handle things a little differently. The price of natural gas tends to change dramatically when a hurricane enters the gulf since that is where much of the natural gas production for the country is located. Not only are fortunes made and lost during these times, but natural gas is a pretty important thing to keep running. You’d be surprised what you can’t do if gas isn’t flowing, and I’m not talking about just your fancy gas stove. Of course many trading companies have the extra wrinkle of being located in a city (Htown…holla!) that is also subject to a hurricane related inconvenience or two. With this in mind most trading companies have pretty extensive evacuation plans that are worked on and maintained year round. With so much money at stake, these companies like to have their employees available to make gas flow, and not be hunkered down in their bathtubs. As a result we frequently get evacuated way before public evacuation orders are given. This is not for safety reasons; it’s for money and business continuity reasons. Plain and simple. Just because we’re leaving, doesn’t mean curtains for Houston. They just prefer to not take a chance.
My company evacuated to Dallas last night. The goal of a situation like this is to have complete coverage of duties in both the evacuation site, and homebase. That way we are covered regardless of what happens, and who gets stuck in what traffic in & out of the city. Back in my single days, I was part of the team that flew the coop to Dallas. It was just easier for me to get mobile than someone with a family and kids to think about. (Usually the time between when you’re told you’re leaving and when leaving is pretty minimal.) This time around I requested to not be on the E-vac team. The HSH’s company had not made the call to evacuate, and I didn’t like the idea of getting out of Dodge without him. I should add that not evacuating with the company in no way prevents me from leaving on my own at a later time. It’s not like they say ‘you must stay there’. That’s the good part about sending the advance team. If the storm gets significantly worse, and I decide I want to get out of the way on my own, I have coverage up there to take care of my responsibilities.
So that brings us to now. As of now, the Halfstreet will be “sheltering in place.” The rule of thumb about these things is “Run from Water, Hide from Wind”. So if you’re not in the storm surge, which Houston shouldn’t be, it is considered safer to hunker down, and ride it out. So that’s what we’re going with for now. Like the good little Girl Scout I am, the Halfstreet is stocked up on water (we keep a stash for this purpose) and other essentials. Plus I think the HSH is looking forward to finally using that hand cranked radio/flashlight that Mom gave him for Christmas last year.
We’ll keep you updated! For now I’m considering us a Tina to this Ike. Not the tortured early Tina. The leave-Ike’s-ass-in-the-middle-of-the-night-and-go-on-to-have-a-wildly-successful-solo-career-while-he-goes-on-to-amount-to-nothing Tina.
If you are a Houston based friend, and you are in a lower laying area, or a place with a lot of windows, you are always welcome at the Halfstreet. You know where to find us.


1 comment:
Though I am not crazy about you "sheltering in place", I figure HSH and "Tina" are in a better place to make the decision than any of us. Keep us informed and pictures of Ike are NOT necessary. I am glad to hear that you are now storing water.
Post a Comment