Sunday, June 6, 2010

The House These Days

I'm listening to the Rice/Texas Baseball game on the internet (don't get me started about it not being on TV), and figured since I'm sitting here anyway, I might as well update my loyal readers (all 2 of you) with what's going on in the house lately.
I've been trying to figure out what to do with "Ripken's Room."  It's not really that he has his own room, I swear.  But there is nothing in that room but his kennel, so it's his by default.  Well, the kennel and a bunch of dry cleaner wire hangers in boxes.  Believe it or not, Ripken's Room sounds slightly less crazy than "place where I store the wire hangers."  Anywhooooo.........
A while back I decided we should put a daybed in there.  Not really sure why I fixated on a daybed, but I did.  But then of course I couldn't find the EXACT one that I wanted.  Well, I actually found the exact one that I wanted, but the HSH didn't think the price was quite what he had pictured.  So the HSH said "we'll have it made...I gotta guy." For those of you who don't know; the HSH ALWAYS "has a guy."  Need a foundation guy?  A window tinter?  A carpenter?  A granite guy?  A yard guy?  The HSH's response is always "I gotta guy."  It's pretty damn handy, I'm not gonna lie.  So we visited the wrought iron guy, who in this case is actually a lady.  She listened to my idea, made some suggestions, agreed to a price that was more in line with the HSH's vision, and we ordered the bed.  Painless so far.  It turned out exactly how I had pictured it.  Only I pictured it in 3 pieces.  It didn't take a engineer to figure out that this:
Was not going to fit down this:

I mean really, people.  In our defense, we asked for three pieces specifically because we've tangoed with this hallway before.  And lost.  We always lose when we fight this hallway.  But here at the Halfstreet we like to think positive.  So we loaded that puppy into the truck, strapped it in, said a little prayer and headed back home.  It took all of 5 seconds and one fairly large mark on the wall to confirm our fears.  So for now, I have a lovely wrought iron daybed...in my living room.  The welders are coming out this week to figure out a solution.  Keep my poor bed in your prayers.  
In other news, I've been trying to make the other spare room a little cozier.  I found a canvas that I liked to hang over the bed.  
I also had in mind some cool branches in a big floor vase for that far side of the bed over there (right side of the picture).  Branches: check.
But the floor vase in my mind has yet to materialize in a store.  This is a frequent problem with me.  I know what I want in my mind, but the stores don't want to play along.  This is how I got into the "daybed in my living room" situation.  Let's hope this search doesn't somehow end with a floor vase in my bathroom, or some other detour.  Speaking of detours...looking at that picture I realize I need a bigger lamp for that bedside table.  Hmmmmmm, I have just the one in mind.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that this can be fixed!!! And.... as probably the only person that has used that lamp at night to read by...yes, it is pretty small! And the thing that kind of bugs me is that when you turn out the light, the chain dings against the lamp FOREVER!!! Love you!

Gretchen said...

Has the bed made it to its home yet?