Sunday, April 15, 2007

The Smell-O-Net

The internet is a pretty cool place. There is no shortage of interesting things to find on it, and I frequently find myself wondering what we did before it. Today though, I thought of something I'd like the guys at Microsoft to start working on, or maybe Apple since this seems more their style. I need a scratch and sniff internet right now. If I had this function, I would send into cyberspace the most amazing scent that is wafting through my yard. That's right, the jasmine is in full bloom, and there are no words I can put around this delightful aroma.
The desire for a smell-o-net, brought up a strange memory that I hadn't thought of in years. I have a vague memory from my childhood of striking out from our home in Fairfax and heading to Baltimore. One of the things we did while touring the city was go to a place called the Power Station. It was an arcade type place with a variety of kid friendly attractions. 99.9% of it was entirely forgettable, except for one huge part: The Sensorium. It was basically a movie with all these extra features, 3 of which stick out in my mind very vividly: 1. There was a 3-D element to it, verrrry cool for a kid my age 2. The seats moved at different parts of the movie, corresponding to what was taking place and last but by no means least 3. There were these things under the seats that piped various smells into the theater, also corresponding to the movie. I think I was 9 or 10 when we went to this sense extravaganza and at the time, I certainly thought it was the coolest thing ever. Sitting in the dark, all my senses being assualted at the same time, giggling and enjoying a good old fashioned family time. Those were most certainly the good ol' days. Now I'm 28, and I still think it was pretty darn cool. Alas, a quick search of the internet proves that it no longer exits and that not very many remember it any longer. Do you guys? Maybe I could contact the creator and figure out a way to send this jasmine scent to you. Trust me, its worth it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, first of all, look at Rip, peering through the fence... too cute.
2. Yes I do remember the Power Station. Funny that you mention that because Dad and I were talking about our trip to Baltimore the other day. Anyway, no only was it "smell-o-vision," it was also 3-D and we were all wearing the goofy glasses. There we four were (I'm sure on the front row, since we have a habit of that)and reacting to all the movement and smells. Do remember when the moderator thrust a skunk through the screen and said "Fooled you!"? I think that was the trip when we got caught in the terrible rain storm with no where to go and we were all soaked to the skin. I'm glad you remember it as a good time.
We had snow early Saturday morning; that followed several hard freezes. I think we might lose the magnolia tree. Darn. I'm happy that your garden is growing.
May I add, you could put a few more pictures in the blog or up date the ones that are there now. Have a good evening.
I'm sure we all watched the Sopranos? Slowly but surely, they are tying up all the loose ends by having everyone die, one way or another. What will we do when there is no more to anticipate?
That and maybe Law and Order is not going to be renewed. Dang, this is sad! ;-) xxoo

Anonymous said...

I like the American flag you used to frame your house picture on “The Smell-O-Net’ posting. Well done. I figured the jasmine would be a treat when it bloomed.

I remember the trip to Baltimore. Like your mom, I remember the rain storm while waiting for the aquarium to open. There is a picture in my mind of watching the rain cascade down the stairs outside the aquarium while waiting to get in. I vaguely remember the smell-o-rama. I must have not been as impressed with it as you. I had forgotten the seats moved. If you convince somebody to set up the “iSmell” let me know, I’ll invest.

dad