Tuesday, December 4, 2007

More Than Just A Mood Swing

The Half Street Sister in Law (wow that’s a mouthful) sent me a funny article this weekend about recent name trends for married women. I laughed because this is something I have struggled with. One bride in the article played a softball game on the day of the wedding between the two families, with the winner dictating whose name the couple would take! I’m not doing anything so drastic, but I have been trying to figure out what I want to be known as starting on wedding day+1. Now I don’t want to go into details about my name, in case any of the crazy lurkers out there aren’t people I know and love (Hi Whitney! I see you! For the love of pete, give a girl a comment!) but I’ll speak in code, and I know 99% of you will know what I mean.
Now, I think most of you know that P is not my first name. In fact, my first name is A (ha! to all of you out there who don’t know what it is!). Before I met the HSF, I always assumed I would drop A, and go by (middle name) (maiden name) (new last name). Mainly because going by your middle name is kind of a pain in my ass. Now to all the parents and future parents out there who are considering this, its not like its set me back in life. So if you’re considering it, by all means do it. BUT, it’s just sometimes a logistical nightmare. First day of school, doctors office, filling out forms, it’s just an added level of complexity that some people are clearly not equipped to handle. (As a side note, it really burns my cookies when people list my name as first name “middle name” last name, as if my middle name is a nickname. Listen people, I know its kind of cutsie, but Hey! It’s my name. Lets leave the quotes out of it.) So anyway, I was ready to drop A, although it kind of made me sad being that it’s my name and all (largely unknown or not). The main reason was not because I was tired of going by my middle name, but because my last name has a certain identity to it, and I was pretty sure no one would believe I was that identity without the name (come on people, you know what I’m talking about. Stick with me now.) So I was all set to be P M Prince-Charming’s-Last-Name. That was before I actually met Prince Charming (aka HSF). This would have made my name…wait for it…wait for it…P M S. I’m sorry. Maybe its childish, but there was no way I was going through life, initialling forms as PMS. You know you ALL laughed out loud when realized that, so don’t try to deny it. So it was back to the drawing board. After long thought and consideration, I decided to go with A P S. I can’t imagine how strange it will feel. Many people I know say this is a very tough thing to get used to. Plus, it kind of makes me sad to not be an M any longer. I mean, yes S has the same identity as M (its like changing Smith for Johnson in our dad’s world), but I’ve always been an M, and it will just be plain weird to me. I want to take the HSF’s name, and A P M S is just too much for me (with a name like mine, you don’t really want to make it any more complicated than it really needs to be). So A P S it is. One more side note. I love my name, Mom. Its true, when I was younger I didn’t appreciate it fully, but now that I’m older I like it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew you would grow into your name!

Jenn and Steven said...

I say PMS. You'll use the full spellings of both more than the initials. And the towels you'll get for your wedding will give you a laugh every time you take a shower.

Bizarley said...

i like PMS, too! it has pizzazz!

Erin Martinez said...

APS is good but if you did decide not to drop the M, you could still be PMS because you probably wouldn't use it that much and on traditional monograms, the S would be large in the middle--PSM. I like what you picked though and I'm glad I don't have to play softball the day of your wedding! Now if you'd like us to decide over a game of Trivial Pursuit Pop Culture...